Monday, January 11, 2010

We're Dating Chuck Night

Do you watch Chuck? On NBC? He was gone for a little while. The execs at the network thought it would be a good idea to cancel him. The fans disagreed. I even signed an online petition.

Well, he's back. (We, the fan's, won! Power to the People!) There was a two hour double episode last night, just to get us all in the mood again. And it worked; it was good. Chuck is regularly on, you guessed it, Monday--aka Date Night.

Josh and I are very excited as this, along with Leverage on TNT (also back on Wednesday), is our favorite show (that's not on Disney or Nick). So tonight's Date Night is very special. I've been planning it since I found out that Chuck was coming back. It's gotten a little more involved as we get closer.

I know, enough about Chuck. Tells us about the food.

Cocktail Hour:
Shrimp Cocktail with homemade cocktail sauce
Black Thorn--similar to a Manhattan but with Irish whiskey and a splash of Absinthe (yup--the stuff's legal again)

Salad Course:
Caesar for Josh with anchovies and hard boiled egg (don't tell him about the egg--it's a surprise. I know, you're saying the EGG is the surprise, not the fishies. The anchovies come in a can, they're easy for me to keep around and really, Josh is so easy to please that I can get over the weirdness of handling little fishies for his salad.)
I will be having a green salad. My extra special ingredient is artichoke hearts. I just love 'em.

Dinner:
Filet Mignon and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes--Chuck brings out the decadence in us.

Dessert:
This is really the stunner in the menu. Souffle. Grand Marnier and Chocolate. I have to try ("there is no try, only do"--Yoda) to prepare the beef while preparing the souffle so it all comes out at the right times. If only I had a sou chef. I'm still working on that one. I suppose I should let the meat rest...hmm...maybe that will be long enough to put the souffle together. I have to keep thinking.

I will take pictures and post them tomorrow. I know I've been gone for so long, you probably don't believe that I'll post twice in 2 days. You know what, though? If my souffle turns out I want the accolades and if it flops (that's really doubly bad for a souffles) I want the sympathy. So for my own ego...I'll post pictures.

And I have done other cooking in the past month. I should probably try to post about them, too. So what do you want to read about: Poultry stocks, pea soup, or my ingenious use of a box of spaghetti over three meals? Let me know.

Also, what is the most decadent meal you've ever eaten? What is the most difficult thing you've tried to make on your own?

Kristen Out1

5 comments:

kate said...

Please never write about pea soup unless you're referring to London fog. An update on the souffle would be good; it sounds wonderful.

Different subject; yesterday was Jersey Boys final Chicago performance. I'm sad.

Allegra said...

I'd like to hear about the use of spaghetti over three meals.

The most difficult thing I ever made was Limoncello cheesecake. It was delicious :)

xoxo,
leggy

drevas said...

We like Chuck. Reading this is making me very very hungry. I'd like to hear about the spaghetti too. The most "gourmet" thing I made was hollandaise sauce. I can't remember if I made traditional eggs benedict or what, but I remember the sauce as an accomplishment. And as far as decadent, there is a version of eggs benedict at a restaurant in Newport that includes big chunks of lobster instead of the meat. It has some french name. It's wonderful. And they include either a mimosa or bloody mary with your entree.

PWNort64 said...

Okay, blog whatever you want about food...I'll enjoy it regardless.

But if you're going to quote Yoda, you'll have to do better. You said: "there is no try, only do"--Yoda

The correct quote is: Do or do not, there is no try!

KMag said...

I got the gist of what Yoda said. Thanks for the correct quote, P.