Thursday, September 25, 2008

Nothing too terribly exciting to report....

So we had frozen pizza on Tuesday. That was my plan, but, as expected it wasn't too exciting. I had planned to make beef fajitas with the leftover margarita beef on Wed, but as I had loooooong day in the ministry, then went the grocery store, I was in need of a little sit down with the news before I started to cook. Josh came in about 10 minutes after I got home (I hadn't sat down...the groceries weren't even all away yet) and declared that he needed to eat. Now! So we ordered Chinese.

All of this means that I get to make the fajitas tonight. I got an avocado and will make guacamole. I have peppers and onions to slice along with the beef. I have salsa and sour cream. I also have a head of romaine, because Josh (especially on meeting nights) prefers a fajita SALAD. I have tortillas for myself.

That's it. I had a good day in service yesterday. My new Bible Study wasn't there. :-( But I was working with my new publisher student and we had a good time. :-) All in all, it left me exhausted for today. I did, however, have my 8 a.m. study with my neighbor. Then I took a nap!

Tomorrow I am making a roasted chicken with citrus fruit and garlic. Recipe reprinted from the food network's Everyday Italian program with Giada DeLaurentis.

Ingredients

  • 1 (5 to 6-pound) whole roasting chicken, neck and giblets discarded
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 orange, quartered
  • 1 lemon, quartered
  • 1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
  • Kitchen string or butcher twine

Directions

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.

Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.

Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning. Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).

Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Strain into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce. Serve the chicken with the pan sauce.

Additionally, I will likely slice some Orange and Lemons and tuck them between the skin and the meat. I'll also zest some of the fruit to tuck into the cavity and under the skin. And since I've been growing oregano, I may tuck a few sprigs in the cavity, as well. I'm planning to make wild mushroom Couscous (inspired by my Allen-boy's recent discovery of it). And since I have to go to Dominick's again tomorrow, I'll try to get some fresh veggies. Maybe green beans.

That's all for tonight.

2 comments:

PWNort64 said...

Yum Yum. What time is dinner?

Allegra said...

I know that it didn't turn out this way, but I'm so impressed that you have the courage to work with a whole chicken. I don't think I could stick things into its cavity ...

XOXO
me