Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Date Night 5/3/11

I know it's Tuesday. Not usually a date night. Josh has a late meeting at work and it seemed like a good idea to have a slow evening. With a cocktail.

So I'm going oh so Italiano this evening. You see, I'm planning to start South Beach next Monday. I had to get all this entertaining behind me before I could start the big D. And being that the first two weeks are absolutely no carbs (including fruit!), I'm trying to pack as much pasta and potatoes into my diet now.

Not in an unhealthy way. I try to cook and eat all things in moderation. But we are having bruschetta and prosciutto panino (prosciutto wrapped around mozzarella) for an appetizer. I haven't decided on the cocktail yet. I'm thinking something with absinthe (it's legal now).

Dinner is pasta with a sausage gravy. We'll have a green salad and garlic bread alongside.

Dessert. Well dessert will be different. There is one piece of cheesecake left. And I bought these amaretti cookies. They are amaretto flavored cookies. I haven't eaten these in years but they are highly addictive. Josh likes his ice cream doused in some kind of cordial. I'm thinking I'll crush some of the cookies and sprinkle them on his chocolate ice cream with a splash of amaretto. What do you think?

Okay, I think I've put off unloading the dishwasher long enough.

Ciao Bellas!

3 comments:

drevas said...

Mmmmm. The ice cream thing sounds delish! You will have to explain the deal with absinthe to me sometime. Is it Italian? How about bellinis or Prosecco?

KMag said...

Absinthe is a mildly anise flavored liquor. It was thought to be highly addictive and thus became illegal. Several of the impressionist artists painted pictures of absinthe drinkers. You'll notice a "stoned" look on their faces.

Anyhoo, I couldn't find the drink recipe I was looking for. I made Manhattans instead. My tomato sauce was only so-so and we shared the last piece of cheesecake.

Allegra said...

YUM is all I have to say