Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Date Night 5/9/11

I made trout!

I know--weird. You see, I started South Beach again yesterday. I have three SB cookbooks and one of them had a recipe for Pecan Crusted Trout. So I called Josh at work. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Babe, how do you feel about trout?

Josh: I LOVE trout. I don't know that I've ever eaten it before, but I'm sure I love it.

And he did. Enough to take the leftovers to work today for lunch.

I even liked it. I'm very timid about fish, but I've ordered it a restaurant. Of course that preparation smothered the fish in onions and bacon. I'd like shoe leather prepared that way.

So I had trout in the back of my mind when I went to the market. I was at the fish counter getting shrimp for our appetizer when I notice whole trout. Seeing the fishy's face was enough to make me say goodbye to trout forever...pecan crust or not. But then another customer came to the counter and engaged the other butcher in a conversation about the trout. He said he could remove the head, the bones, clean it and fillet it. Sold! I said I'll take one like that.

If you were reading carefully, you noticed that I was buying shrimp. There's our appetizer.

As for cocktails...Josh made himself a daiquiri and I made myself a cooler of sorts. Cherry pomegranate Crystal Light, Fresca, and a squeeze of lime. I put it in a Collins glass with a cocktail umbrella and a bendy straw. I was very happy.

So, all in all first day of South Beach was a success.

And Date Night was as well.

3 comments:

Allegra said...

Brave! And I love Josh's reaction!

kate said...

I guess anyone that actually likes liver could prejudge his taste in fish.

kate said...

so where have previous comments gone?