Thursday, October 9, 2008

Date Night...for Real

Tomorrow is our fourth anniversary. Thus we have dinner reservations at Lovell's of Lake Forest. Kind of a special place for us. First date-date and this will be the second anniversary we've spent with the kind folks at Lovell's. (We spent one anniversary at Tom Moore's Tavern in Bermuda.) There was one year when the acclaimed astronaut Jim Lovell himself checked in with us to see if our meal was satisfactory. Plus, there was a year when they had both a single malt and a port flight. This Saxe family couldn't have been happier.

Josh is taking tomorrow off. Woohoo! With a busy theocratic schedule we never (except on vacations) have a whole day at home to ourselves. We have nothing planned. Except that I will be making breakfast. Usually Josh wants eggs/potatoes of some sort/bacon. Sometimes he wants pancakes....and bacon. Last week he put in his order for french toast. Oh yeah, and bacon.

Now, since we've been married the only french toast I've made was oven french toast that "marinated" in the egg mixture overnight. It was for a brunch at Eileen's house. It was to serve many people. Not 2.

Since I have memories of Mom making French toast when I was a little kid (younger than 9), I called her. Eggs, Milk (cream if I've got it, I don't), vanilla, and orange zest. Great. Mmmm-mmm. But being me, I checked the Internet, too. That helped with quantities of eggs and milk. I also got other, basic recipe suggestions. Like ground cinnamon. Or nutmeg. And being stuck on Mom's orange zest suggestion, I wonder about adding a splash of Cointreau. I'll let you know exactly what I do.

Josh's grandfather used to squeeze fresh orange juice for his daughters. So after we got engaged, Eileen pointed out the kind of juicer her dad used to use. Now I have one, too. I will squeezing fresh juice for my boy in the morning. And because we are officially in autumn, I have taken to adding pumpkin pie spices to my coffee. Very tasty. Similar in taste to Starbucks pumpkin spice coffee, but rather than being $4 a pop, you can buy a whole jar of the spice mix for $4 and make pots and pots of coffee. Really,that's my hot morning beverage of choice. Josh will likely prefer to have Lemon Lift or Constant Comment. Both teas. No problem. I have a tea kettle and the teas.

I've already turned the alarm off for tomorrow. And we will walk the pooch before bed tonight. Hopefully, this will allow me to sleep in a little before making breakfast. I may decide to allow Josh to sleep in. Or maybe just go back to bed after walks the doggie. We'll see.

If any of breakfast seems photo worthy, I'll share pictures. But probably not until Saturday.

hugs to all,
LKH

3 comments:

PWNort64 said...

Enjoy your day together. Happy Anniversary!!

drevas said...

Happy (belated) anniversary! I too love the pumpkin spice coffee. I got a bag at Marshall's and have it every morning. What kind of coffee do you use?

PWNort64 said...

Hope you had a great day. I'm anxiously awaiting the update and to know how breakfast went.

ps: I've tagged you to share 7 things about yourself! You can check out my 7 things HERE