Wednesday, May 26, 2010

baby shower

Almost all caught up. Oh, wait, I think this does catch me up! Whew, it's been a long time coming.

So Saturday, 5/22 was a baby shower that I was involved in throwing. I did not do this alone. I had three very good friends helping. The four of us provided punch, coffee, and cakes. Yes, I said cakeS with an S. Meaning plural. The mom-to-be wanted ice cream cake. So ice cream cake she got. And there was a more traditional cake, too.

Dairy Queen, who did the ice cream cake, was able to scan the image from the napkin onto the cake. And despite all of our mocking, the ice cream cake was very good.

There was no shortage of food, though. Our sisters as a whole made this a beautiful event.

My responsibilities included decorations, punch, and coffee. I ordered 39 balloons. Josh's car is pretty big, but that was a lot of balloons to try to cram in. LoPe and I had to spend about 20 minutes untangling them. But we got it done, and it was very pretty, if I do say so myself.

The other decoration thing that I did was silk flowers in a turquoise can. (The colors for the shower became turquoise and kiwi. I found cans super cheap at Target 2 months ago.)

So you can't see the can's in this top down photo. But I think you get the idea. And not a one of these flower arrangements (with which I had no idea what I'd do after the shower) came home with me. We played Baby Shower Bingo and only had 4 prizes...there were 7 winners...three of whom actually WANTED the flower arrangements. Go figure. I think I gave the last one to somebody who just asked for it.

Finally, I had 13 "dead" bananas in my freezer and 4 that were "dying" on my counter top. Not to let all those bananas pass without use, I made banana bread. And muffins. And mini muffins.
I used my current go-to recipe but added a few twists I saw on Barefoot Contessa. (I so want to be Ina Garten when I grow up.) She adds dried banana chips to the top.


And she cuts up a less ripe banana and mixes it in with the batter before baking. You can see the baked banana chunk at the bottom corners.


Well, that's the end of baby shower.

Next up, my Tea Party and book discussion with my 9 year old friend.

6 comments:

kate said...

Why 39 balloons?

KMag said...

3 dozen plus three that's said "It's A Boy." I used one of the message balloons, one blue, and one kiwi on three of the tables. That left 30 others for different uses.

Colleen said...

I really wanted to get to that shower! Just when I think I'm an organized person.....

*sigh*

drevas said...

Look at you with your links and everything!

drevas said...

Hey your blog looks different! Tea Party post, please.

Olivia said...

Hey, Kristen! I'm sorry I haven't invited you to my blog yet- I don't have your email!! I guess I could just troop downstairs and ask Allegra but I thought it would be more fun this way. Hee, hee. So, if you want to go to my profile page there's a link for my email thing-a-ma-jig and you could email me and then I'll email you back and invite you to my silly blog. Does that make sense? Au Revoir!