Thursday, January 22, 2009

dessert first

Okay Paula and Allegra--I forgot to include the dessert plan. I made an apple crisp. A very cheater (yet still tasty) apple crisp. T. Marzetti (they make the caramel dip for apples) make this "easy to bake" (their words, not mine) apple crisp mix. It turned out to be fairly easy. Peeling and slicing 8 apples (they were small) was a little tedious, but other than that it was easy peasy.

Dinner last night was very tasty. I'm not huge chicken
parm fan, but I loved this recipe. It came from Giada's Everyday Italian cookbook (a first anniversary gift from a dear fan--thanks J). Before I share the recipe, I will say that while I did pound my chicken breasts, I did not use cutlets (as my loving husband pointed out to me, is essential for a true chicken parm) I will use cutlets the next time. Giada's timing is more in line with a cutlet.

So here goes: (my additions/changes in
purple)

1 T olive oil (I know I used more, but I don't really measure much)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (from my Aero Garden!)
pinch of red pepper flakes
4 chicken cutlets about 3 oz each (so she did call for cutlets, I had cutlets...I really need to read more carefully)
3/4 c marinara sauce (I used my gravy--again I don't measure)
1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese (I used thin slices of mozzarella and an Italian 3 cheese blend--no measuring)
8 tsp freshly grated parm (this is getting silly--I used parm and romano and I have no idea how much)
1 T unsalted butter; cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. In a small bowl, stir the oil and herbs to blend. Brush both sides of the cutlet with the herb oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (I added the S and P to the herb/oil mixture.) Heat a large, heavy oven proof skillet over a high flame. Add the cutlets and cook until just brown, about 1 min. per side. Remove from heat.

Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the cutlets. Sprinkle cheeses over and dot with butter. Bake until cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. (I had to cook mine for more like 12 minutes. They weren't cutlets. I made a mistake!)

So dinner was yummy and the evening was lovely, if I do say so myself.

See how my garden has grown?! I have the grow light extended as high as it will go. This has definitely been a worthwhile investment for this cook. If you have the space for it, I recommend it. There is nothing like fresh herbs!

4 comments:

Allegra said...

the chicken parm recipe sounds YUMMY! i'll have to make it myself one of these days. i'm still debating the aero garden, but i don't have a heck of a lot of room in my kitchen. plus i don't actually cook all that much. maybe it would motivate me. i don't know ... anywho ... i'll talk to you tomorrow.

xoxo,
leggy

PWNort64 said...

Thanks for the update on the apple crisp...one of my favorite desserts.

The chicken sounds great...may have to try it when I am feeling adventurous. Glad you had a great evening.

drevas said...

Hmmm. I may have to try one of those AeroGarden thingies.

Jenn said...

I've made her chicken parm too and you are so right, it is really good and easy! Jeff really likes it too. Your herbs look wonderful- a little herb garden of Eden, I definitely agree with you that it is a worthwhile investment!!! Caramel Apple Crisp sounds wonderful too.