Thursday, April 9, 2009

Kentucky Derby Hat; progress on cookbook, anniversary celebration

As I wrote the title, I realized that while I intended this to be an update style entry, I haven't told you anything about either one of those topics. So here goes:

For the DDCP '09, we decided we'd like the girls to wear hats. It's traditional at the Race. I don't want anybody to go nuts, buying extravagant and expensive hats. I want them to go nuts decorating inexpensive hats in a most unusual and extravagant way. So I bought mine at Target yesterday. It's white, it's straw-like, has a very broad brim and and a very tiny bow. I'm not sure how I'll embellish it. Any ideas?


Now to the cookbook. I'm writing a cookbook. Well, not actually writing it, more like compiling recipes from sisters in the congregation. It was slow going at first, but now I'm getting recipes everyday. Woohoo! I'm very excited about this...it will actually be printed, be hardbound and have photographs. What better project could I have undertaken...cooking, photography, and desktop publishing. (Allegra I could do this for the school, if there is an interest. Maybe.)

Also, we're having the inlaws over after Memorial this evening to mark their annivesary. It's not for a few weeks yet, but it happens to fall on DDCP day, and I have the gifts...and well you know what that is like. So what am I serving?, you ask. I am making baked procuitto cups and filling them with my caprese bruschetta topping. Also, I made chocolate cherry brownies last night. Super easy. Mix your favorite box brownie mix. Heat jar of your favorite jam, jelly, or preserves. Pour the brownies into your pan and top them with the warm jelly. Swirl the two together, and voila!
And here are pics of the anniversary gifts:


Eileen is the self proclaimed queen of every thing, so this seemed appropriate.


And Peter loves Chocolate (it deserves to be capitalized when your talking about chocolate for Peter). These are not real asparagus, nor are the chocolate covered anything. This is pure chocolate, through and through.

That's all for now!

3 comments:

drevas said...

I suggest lots of silk flowers and maybe a bee or two for the hat. Not super original, but I don't have much hat decorating experience. Love the brownie idea.

Jenn said...

Maybe walk around a craft store like AC Moore or Michael's and see what appeals to you, but I love drevas idea of a bee or two.
Are you selling your cookbook? and How are you making your mint juleps?

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea - I bought my hat today. And decorations to add. Now I just need Russ and his gluegun!