Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Well it's Wednesday...and you know what that means

Date night! Woohoo!


I think I've made the best dessert ever!

The brownie recipe came from this baking blog that I've been following--Cake on the Brain. I, however modified it a bit (imagine that?!). Josh is a huge chocolate freak...I mean fan. I bet you didn't know that about him. His favorite candy is chocolate orange peels. So, having this brownie recipe in mind, I decided to find out how to candy orange peels. I did that yesterday. I thought I was being all sneaky with the orange peels. I hid them in plain sight, figuring Josh wouldn't notice. He did. He asked if I was "spicing cheese." At least I think that's what he asked...it had something to do with cheese.

So today I made the brownies. I diced about half of the orange peels and added them in the place of the nuts. I used the orange scented sugar from the orange peels, and replaced the vanilla with orange extract. Yum!



The result? A deeply chocolate brownie with surprising bites of orange peel throughout.



I know, I start with dessert first. We eat it last. I swear.

So when I asked Josh wanted he wanted for date night dinner, he said Filet. No surprise. With a horseradish crust. I have to say I was expecting that. Since he likes my parm crust, I knew it wouldn't be too long before he was requesting other crusts.

But how do I make a horseradish crust? My initial thought was to use cream cheese instead of butter. And I think I will still do that. A quick search on epicurious, yielded, repeatedly, the use of bread crumbs. Check. I can do that. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Josh likes Caesar salad. I'll make him one of those. Not sure what kind of salad I'll have. Maybe tomato, mango, shallot and basil. (That is the recipe.) Or may be a tomato-cucumber deal.

I will blanch some green beans and toss them with garlic, tomatoes and balsamic glaze for a nice chilled veggie.

And I will make mashed potatoes.

For the cocktail portion of the meal, we will enjoy Manhattans. I have an herbed brie that I will serve with crackers and sliced apple.

Dessert will include coffee and possibly an after dinner drink.

That is the plan for the evening.

5 comments:

PWNort64 said...

Sounds absolutely yummy!! Enjoy.

drevas said...

That sounds awfully ambitious, but I'm sure you can pull it off. Nice flowers!

Colleen said...

I'll just follow the delicious scents of chocolate & oranges to your door

Allegra said...

while i'm not particularly a fan of chocolate and fruit, those brownies sound delish. and if the horseradish-crusted filet is a success, please add that to the list of things to make me next time i see you.

xoxo,
leggy

Megan Lynn said...

We had gluten free mac and cheese and a bottle of malbec...it's the thought that counts right? :)