Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Feeding Miss R

So, despite the blizzard going on outside, I am having a workmate of my hubby's (Miss R) for dinner tonight.

On the menu:

"The best flank steak Josh (my husband) has ever eaten"

1 2-lb flank steak--slice a shallow grid into it for the marinade to soak in
2-3 large shallots or 6-7 smaller ones--minced or finely chopped
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c soy sauce
1/3 c balsamic vinegar

Mix all ingredient in zip top bag and marinate for 48 hours. (Yes, I said 2 days...you can prepare it sooner, but it is sooo much better when it has a full 48 hours to soak.)

When it's not snowing, I like to grill it. Being that I'm not interested in shoveling my deck or standing in the wind and snow, I'll cook it under my broiler. 6 mins per side for medium rare.

This is accompanied by sauted shallots, portobellos and cremini mushroom. Once the mushroom liquid has cooked out, add 5 T of sugar and 1/4 c balsamic. Cook until liquid is absorbed by the mushrooms.

In addition to the steak, I am making roasted broccoli. Cut your broccoli into florets; toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a foil lined baking pan for 25 minutes at 425°. Remove from oven and dress with a combination of lemon zest, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. (Recipe from Ina Garten on Barefoot Contessa.)

I am also making mashed potatoes. I'm using Klondike potatoes...probably a combo of Rose and Gold varieties. I will cook the potatoes in the chicken stock I made last week. (It's good enough that I've been sipping it like tea...mmmm.) Salt, pepper, butter, sour cream. I thought about using buttermilk (lower fat option) but haven't gotten any feedback on that, so I'll revert back to my tried and true.

Dessert will be the leftover chocolate strawberry brownies I made yesterday.

3 comments:

Cooking Rookie said...

Sounds like a great easy delicious recipe! I want to try it - thanks for sharing :-)

Colleen said...

How ironic - I just got off Skype with Carrie and she is making roasted broccoli too!

Unknown said...

When we are back in the states I want you to invite us over for this exact meal. august 9th is our return date. Maybe August 10th? :-)