Monday, February 22, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock

Armed with the carcasses of 2 rotisserie chickens, I couldn't resist the urge to make my own stock.

How did I do that? you ask? I raided my pantry and fridge and threw whatever veggies and herbs I could find in it.

This time it included:

potatoes
parsnips (purchased specifically for this purpose)
carrots
celery--including the leaves
onions--with the skin
garlic--a lot; I had 2 partially spent bulbs in reserve
rosemary
thyme
salt and pepper

Simmer for several hours; cool, strain, refrigerate (or freeze).

Stock in box is oh-so-convenient, but when I find myself in possession of chicken bones, this is not so difficult and frequently is good enough to sip when you're laid up with a cold.

1 comment:

drevas said...

Hmm... there's something very ironic about making homemade chicken stock from rotisserie chickens.