Friday, April 29, 2011

40th Wedding Anniversary Extravaganza--Post V

Well, it's coming down to the wire.

I have 2 desserts in the fridge.

Key Lime Cheesecake

Flourless Chocolate Cake

As you can see I have a 40 candle to add to the cake tomorrow. What you can't see is the border of raspberries. If it wasn't already covered and in the fridge, I'd take another picture. You're just going to have to wait.

I also made "orange scented whipped cream." Or possibly butter. I may have over whipped it. We'll have to check later. I have enough cream that we can try again tomorrow. Amelia will be here helping. She can do it.

Amelia will also be making a raspberry coulis to accompany both deserts. Really, Amelia will be here not so much as a sous chef, but as a sauce chef.

The mushroom duxelle is cooling. I added the salt at pepper too soon, so there's more liquid in the pan than there should be. I'll have to figure out how to handle that before I assemble dinner tomorrow.

Hmm. "What mushroom duxelle?", you are asking. I haven't shared the whole menu with you yet, have I?

I guess now is as good a time as any.

To go along with our cocktails during "cocktail" hour, we are having this tasty cheddar cheese and jam spread that Eileen just loves. I also have a wedge of brie for Peter. I'll add grapes and a sliced apple to the tray.

On to dinner. We are beginning with my mom's cucumber salad. I've added ricotta salata to Mom's recipe.

Main course is Beef Wellington. I've made this before and it was really good. I mean really good.

The beef will be accompanied by Duchess Potatoes.

Duchess Potatoes

Serves 8

For the smoothest, most uniform texture, use a food mill or ricer to mash the potatoes.

3 pounds russet potatoes , scrubbed
1 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 1/4-inch cubes and softened
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1. MICROWAVE POTATOES Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Meanwhile, prick potatoes all over with fork, place on plate, and microwave until tender, 18 to 25 minutes, turning potatoes over after 10 minutes.

2. MASH POTATOES Cut potatoes in half. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh into large bowl and mash until no lumps remain. Add cream, 3 tablespoons butter, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and baking powder and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Gently fold in remaining butter until pieces are evenly distributed.

3. PIPE AND BAKE Transfer potato mixture to piping bag fitted with ½-inch star tip. Pipe eight 4-inch-wide mounds of potato on rimmed baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve.

MAKE AHEAD Once piped onto the baking sheet, the potatoes can be covered loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerated for 24 hours. Remove plastic and spray lightly with cooking spray before baking.

You'll notice that these potatoes have to be piped. Josh ate these potatoes every date night for the last 5 weeks (save this one) so I could perfect my piping technique. I finally got it! I also made one change to the recipe. We didn't like the nutmeg. Too weird. We found garlic salt more to our liking.

We will be having roasted asparagus with a lemon aoli. Guess who's making the aoli? You got it. Amelia!

All that leaves is dessert and not only do you already know about that, you've seen them!

So, the rest of my day just involves cucumbers and onions; a little clean up; and easy peasy, I'm done.

Tomorrow is potatoes, beef and green peppercorn sauce. Amelia will be here working with me.

I may actually be relaxed enough to enjoy this shindig...er Extravaganza!

1 comment:

kate said...

OK, it does not seem possible but the lime cheesecake was about 5 times better tasting than it looked and as you can see by the picture it looked really awesome. The entire dinner was magnificent.